Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Senators 4 - Sabres 2

Finally, an effort any Sens fan can be proud of. We've seen what the Sens can do with a dependable goaltender in nets. They also seem to play harder in front of Gerber, but I think it has more to do with the key saves Emery can provide them than anything else. You didn't see any long shots magically get through Emery.

My heart was pounding during the final minutes of this game. I think there is something wrong with me when a puck being fired in a different city, in a different country, in November can make me jump up and down with glee or curse in disgust. On second thought, I'm probably one of many who were on the edge of their seats through the entire game.

I kind of wish the Sens didn't score the empty-net goal at the end so they could be credited with a one-goal game victory. I don't like that stat very much, but I don't have enough time to get into that right now.

Studs:

Anton Volchenkov:


Big hits, good defensive play, sliding blocked shots. What a turn-around from earlier this year.

Ray Emery:


He stopped the puck! He had a few too many big rebounds for my liking, but most were cleared away.

Mike Fisher:


He does it all. He may be snake-bitten around the net, but 2 assists ain't shabby along with playing in every position.

Dany Heatley:


Good effort, strong fore/back checking. I wouldn't mind splitting him for Spezza though...

Jason Spezza:


Big goal on the PP to tie it up. He was standing in front of the net and made a sweet tip. He took a dumb penalty near the end though, but I still like him.

Daniel Alfredsson:


He actually was leading by example. Showed emotion as well, and made the shot that was tipped for the winner!

Duds:

Andrej Meszaros:


Played a horrible first period but was better as the game went on. His giveaway on the first goal was unacceptable.

Denis Hamel:


He was given top line power play time and extra minutes and didn't impress me. Maybe less is more with this guy? No doubt he has scoring touch but there is something about him I don't like.

Martin Gerber:


Just because.

Links:

Box Score
Recap

Next:

In East Rutherford on Friday to face the New Jersey Devils. I hope the Devils aren't still mad over this.

2 comments:

Miss. Scarlett said...

How sad is it that people can hate on Gerber just for the simple fact that he's there :P Poor guy! Apparently he's good luck to have on the bench though.

Indrew said...

My anger for his piss-poor play will subside sooner or later.

I still hope he can regain his confidence, but I'm not holding my breath.